by clicking the arrows at the side of the page, or by using the toolbar.
by clicking anywhere on the page.
by dragging the page around when zoomed in.
by clicking anywhere on the page when zoomed in.
web sites or send emails by clicking on hyperlinks.
Email this page to a friend
Search this issue
Index - jump to page or section
Archive - view past issues
Australian Cattle Council : Yearbook 2015
YEARBOOK2015 CATTLE COUNCIL OF AUSTRALIA 62 McDonald's Australia Young Beef Producers Supply Chain Tour McDonald’s have been a proud supporter of the Australian Beef industry for over 40 years since opening the first restaurant in 1971. Today McDonald’s has more than 940 restaurants serving over 1.7 million customers every day. Some 80 per cent of these restaurants are owned and operated by local independent business men and women, and the other 20% by the company. Over 90% of McDonald’s food and packaging is sourced or manufactured in Australia. In 2014, McDonald's Australia’s purchased 27.5 million kilos of Australian Beef, a further 107.5 million kilos was exported to McDonald’s markets including Asia, US and the Middle East. That’s a total of 135 million kilos of Australian Beef. McDonald’s and its franchisees employ approximately 105,000 people in restaurants and management offices across Australia. McDonald’s globally operate more than 36,000 restaurants in more than 100 countries around the world serving 70 million customers every day. McDonald’s supply chain is unique. A supply chain model which is based on a culture of partnership and collaboration which makes it possible to serve consistently safe and high quality food. Beef is McDonald's most iconic ingredient so mainstreaming best practise in sustainable production and supporting the development of young people in the beef industry are both major priorities for the company. Recognising the opportunity to share best practice from farm gate to the McDonald’s customer to encourage innovation within the modern agricultural workforce, Macca’s, in partnership with its suppliers, has been delivering tours of their beef supply chain for young beef producer since 2013. The most recent tour was delivered in Brisbane in August together with AgForce Queensland and was aligned with the Brisbane Ekka to facilitate a greater networking opportunity. A group of producers and industry representatives were provided the opportunity to learn how McDonald’s Australia is working with its suppliers to strengthen its supply chains ability to deliver long term, assured and sustainable supply of Australian Beef to its customers. The tour started with a presentation at McDonald’s Brisbane Airport restaurant. Attendees were provided with a ‘behind the scenes’ tour of the restaurant and information was provided on restaurant sustainability initiatives relating to sourcing, waste & recycling, energy, people practices and contribution to communities. The group travelled to JBS Australia Dinmore processing plant, receiving an insightful presentation and tour of the facility. JBS Dinmore is one of 29 McDonald's approved, export-registered abattoirs approved to supply beef to McDonald’s beef pattie suppliers in Australia and overseas. The tour moved onto Australian Food Corporation (AFC) located in Coominya. AFC is owned and operated by Keystone Foods, one of McDonald’s global pattie suppliers. It is one of two pattie plants in Australia that supply McDonald’s. If you are a producer or involved within the beef industry please contact Cattle Council to place your name on the list for the 2016 McDonald’s Young Beef Producers Supply Chain tour. This is an insightful and educational opportunity for beef producers interested in learning about the value chain of McDonald’s Australia.